Sunday, February 22, 2009

The Barn

Well it's not a barn, really. It looks like a barn from the outside and then it's a palace on the inside. Three floors, and the only thing to prevent you from falling to the first floor (and to your death) is a sturdy, reliable, wooden banister.
I went there on Friday with the Young Women. The barn was about twenty minutes from the city, near fields and animals and fences, which were all blanketed in filthy snow. The sky was gray when we left, and a blue-gray when we arrived. It slowly turned a deep navy blue, and Orion appeared brightly in the distance. 
The Young Women all chose bunks to sleep in which were lined up and made neatly on the third floor. I, being afraid of heights, chose a bunk which was as far from the banister as possible. Eventually I grew to trust the banisters, and I leaned on them and looked at the two floors below. 
There were also very nice bedrooms, and also a master bedroom with a loft. The leaders got to sleep in these rooms, along with a few of the older girls. 
There was a hot tub on the back porch, and they warmed it up to 104 degrees. We climbed inside it, and we barely noticed the cold; in fact, I sometimes would go to dance in the snow to relieve myself from the pool.
They wanted to play Truth or Dare, which became Truth or Truth, because no one wanted to risk groveling in the snow. I grew tired of this game and went inside, because I was tired of hearing so much about boys, and I wanted to go play pool.
I was bad at pool. 
Eventually, around 12 AM, I went to bed. The bunks were surprisingly comfortable.
We cleaned the house the next morning and ate breakfast, then we played games, then we drove home.
I was really hoping there would be a big tire swing hanging from the ceiling, because the ceiling was very high. It would be so fun to swing in a house like that! It would make it even more extravagant. 

No comments: