Friday, December 19, 2008

Meddy Chreestmas

My mom has developed a strong opinion about Christmas season. And she's told us that there might not be one this year at all because of financial problems and all that good stuff. But she says it's good, because we are learning something. I mean, isn't Christmas kind of gradually turning into a second Black Friday?  
The real meaning of the holiday is disappearing, I'm afraid. People have one question around this time of year: "What do you want for Christmas?" That question is somewhat depressing. I'm just thinking, doesn't Jesus not want all this greed? We are supposed to be celebrating His birth--but I guess some people have invented a new definition/title for Christmas: Want Day.
I'm not saying I'm not guilty of the "greed plague", of course I want an iPod or a pet cat or a Nintendo DS. But I'm really trying to resist it! 
My mom wants us to donate to Family Crisis Center this year for the people that don't have as much as we do. We aren't considered the most fortunate family in the world, but there are people in greater need than us. So I guess we are going to donate, I think!
Mostly I'm sick of Santa Claus. He gets on my nerves! For one thing, he doesn't exist, for another, he goes around spoiling snotty kids rotten, and for one more thing he's just bribery. Pure bribery. He's an excuse. I suspect parents can't think of any other way to get their kids to behave!
I'm really trying to think more about the meaning and/or spirit of Christmas this year. Looking back, I feel rather guilty about everything I've always wanted. For me and Ethan's b-day party tomorrow, we asked the guests not to bring presents. A kid's parent said they were surprised, quote: "I thought kids didn't know the difference between want and need." That hurts, actually. Really hurts, right here. (Motions to heart.)
I am very excited to see my Grandmas and Grandpas and all my relatives. I am thinking about the gifs, I can't deny it, but I'm trying! I want to be more mature like my Mom. I got the idea of this post for her.
I hope y'all have a merry Christmas. Enjoy the time with your family! Play games! Sing songs! Donate to charity!

(And if you were confused by the title of this post I was just saying Merry Christmas with a weird accent so r's sound like d's and i's sound like long e's and w's sound like v's. It's a little confusing but I think it's funny!)

No comments: